Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bumble Bee and a Day with 1st Grade


Ellie was one of five students in her 1st grade class to qualify for this year's 'Bumble Bee' spelling competition. There were 20 students total, 5 from each class. I was so excited for her!  I was so happy I got to watch her, all the the children did a great job, what great practice for them when they compete in the real spelling bee! She did very well and made it to the top four spellers. The word she missed was 'important'. It was by far one of the hardest words of the morning, three syllables, there were only two words as hard the rest of the day. Ellie was disappointed she missed it, but it was a great experience. She got a special certificate, and one of her friends from her class was the winner. She did a great job, I was so proud of her!


This month we also went on a special field trip to the Baltimore Science Center, one of our favorite places! Ellie has been studying the planets and the solar system in her class, and it was a treat to go to the planetarium and learn about different stars, planets and aspects of the universe together. We got to watch a special interactive show that helped us see where the different stars and planets sit in the sky. It was really fun and interesting. I studied astronomy one semester in college, and it was fun to review with Ellie some things I learned long ago. I think one of my favorite solar systems is still Orion, the Hunter. I love Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky, which is part of the constellation Canis Major, one of Orion's two hunting dogs. Ellie liked the queen on her throne, Cassiopeia.  

We had a great visit! I love being able to go with her on these little trips. 

No comments: