Friday, May 7, 2010

Saintpaulia


Otherwise known as the African Violet is one of my favorite flowers. My Nana Ruby used to grow them, had several varieties growing in her house when I was a child. She had quite the green thumb, she could grow anything. She had a garden full of camelias, dahlias, gardenias, irises, roses, as well as various trees and plants. When I was younger, I remember going to her house and finding her puttering in the garden, planting, weeding, etc. As she aged, she was not able to get out as often, yet her yard still thrived and was lovely and inviting. I can still smell her gardenias, and remember the shade of each camelia bush. She loved to show me what was in bloom and we would talk about all kinds of things. She came from a staunch German family and life wasn't easy. She grew up during the depression. She saved all kinds of things, glass jars, plastic wear, etc. She was thrifty and could make the best home made candy. Her fudge, toffee and divinity were famous. She also made amazing rolls and pomegrante jelly. She died in 2001 shortly after Chris and I were married. Chris and I lived in her home for about 3 years before we moved to the desert. I could always feel her closeby when I worked and puttered outside and tried to plant and maintain flowers. Once we moved out, my Dad sold the house and so far, luckily, the owners have maintained the camelias and gardenias. I am glad. I think Nana would be glad too. I miss her.

2 comments:

Rileigh said...

What a wonderful lady. Thank you for sharing

Jeri said...

Lovely! Absolutely lovely.