Friday, June 25, 2010

I *Love*

Summer. SO MUCH. And I am loving summer here in MD. Okay, now the humidity is pretty awful, but how can you not love the magic of fireflies at night, fresh fruit picking at local farms, SWIMMING, and of course those CRAZY thunder/rain storms that hit in the afternoons, and dump rain when you least expect it?! During these fleeting months, it feels like the opportunity to go and do anything is always present, that adventures await around every corner, and we all feel the need to be outside exploring. This past week has been a little crazy for me, the girls have been sick, and I have been itching to get to the pool and enjoy some freedom and play before Ellie starts school in August. Finally today we were able to get back out and spend a good three hours there. We had lunch, the girls swam and practiced and played and loved every minute. I loved that it wasn't too hot, there was a breeze, and I was actually out of my house. 
So I am also getting into the groove to plan another party or get together. One of my favorite holidays is the 4th of July, and I have been getting some great inspiration from the martha stewart site  and the current July issue. I Love love love it! I love the Americana focus, the highlights on American culture, food and traditions. The fourth of is one of my favorite days of the year. I feel so patriotic and close to my country on this day, and being a military wife of 9 years, I feel like the 4th of July is a time to celebrate not only the history of our country, but where we are going, what we have sacrificed in a deeply personal way. Our two deployments when we were first married were crazy! The first was 10 months of separation! Luckily, we haven't experienced a deployment in several years, but I know that once Chris is done with med school it is going to be a real possibility again. I am grateful we don't have to think about it right now. =) So, onward with 4th of July plans, I am getting my menu ready, thinking about what to do with the kids (since we are celebrating on the 3rd a Saturday, instead of Sunday)  One of the things I am itching to try are some home made ice pops, using fresh fruits and yogurt in the recipe. Or, this recipe from Martha Stewart are these Nectarine and Strawberry ice pops which look YUMMY.

I love summer.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Yum! Those popsicles look perfect! I am glad you got some pool time today.