Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of July and expectations

I had such high hopes for my little BBQ this year. I love the 4th of July, (as mentioned in a previous post) and it was a bit of a downer to me that it was on a Sunday this year. I wanted to picnic in the park, watch fireworks, go to the pool, let the kids experience sparklers, make some home made ice cream,  but none of that happened. I spent a good bit of time planning for a simple meeting of a few friends on Saturday night, and two of our families couldn't make it. We were disappointed, but excited that we had our friends the Madsens and Chris' brother Andy and his family able to join us for dinner. The night was crazy, kids everywhere, good food and conversation. We didn't pull out the slip n slide or the pool but the kids had fun bouncing in our bounce house. Sunday was very mellow, and we didn't even take the kids to see fireworks, they had been up so late the night before.

As Chris and I sat on the couch late Sunday night listening to the fireworks I wondered if I had made a mistake, maybe we should have made the most of the night, drug their little tired selves and enjoyed the spectacle. Oh well. Maybe next year. I don't even have any good pictures to share from the weekend, too tired to lug out my camera and make the effort after cooking and cleaning for the party. Boo to me. My kids had fun, and I guess that is all that matters. I am bummed that I don't have any fun pictures to document the weekend, but perhaps next year I will do a better job and we will have more to share. I always kick myself when a good memory or experience passes me by without taking a few good photos.

On a lighter note, we have the baby's room 90% finished, it just needs curtains, and we need to hang pictures and a closet curtain. Chris has finished the guest room downstairs and it is LOVELY and wonderful. He has been working so hard this past week to get things ready. I am so happy with the baby's room. I will post pictures when it is all finished. I am full term and baby could come any day, it's hot and the summer is pulsing all around us. My energy level and patience aren't as high as they could be, I am getting very nervous and excited for the arrival of our little boy. Life is going to change dramatically for us. I hope we are up for the challenges ahead.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Next year the 4th won't be on a Sunday and you can make sure you get all the traditions covered. I hope we are still near each other, we can celebrate together. I'll bring that berry flag cake everyone always makes!

I can't wait to see the photos of the new rooms!